Wednesday, June 29, 2005

"They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol

If I handed over my healing process to time, it could take more than I have. There's life to be lived, goals to be accomplished, relationships to be tended and enjoyed, daydreaming to be done.

Daydreaming is an avocation of mine. Some call it procrastination. A process that is, I believe, a critical aspect of creation. In fact, I need to write a piece on that...maybe do some research, talk to others who cherish, covet and are constantly developing their procrastinative abilities...there's probably a short story in it...that I could adapt for film...

Anyway, I'm changing things. But that won't change the essence of me. Writer friend Richard said today that he read a book about famous artists who underwent various forms of psychoanalysis, and every one of them was concerned that, if they changed their habits and behaviors -- if they got better -- they would lose what made them unique. And it's not true: because the more you eliminate pain from your life, the better you're able to function.

I'm now all about the elimination of pain...ironic, of course, that it's a painful process.

1 comment:

amba said...

You'll like this post on procrastination.

Also, it was Rilke who dropped out of therapy because he said he feared "If my devils leave me, my angels will too."

Like you, psychologist Stephen Diamond disagrees.