Monday, February 16, 2004

"Food is a very handy tool for any writer interested in character." - Anne Tyler

Having read this quote in context (from an interview in today's New York Times) I know Ms. Tyler (she of "Accidental Tourist" and "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" fame) was speaking of the culinary preferences she gives to her characters when she's designing their lives. But it's got me wondering what my current eating patterns tell me about my own character. Today, for instance, I've consumed a handful of raw pistachios, a handful of raw cashews, leftover stir-fried carrots and almonds, a bowl of frozen blueberries (slightly nuked), a glass of chocolate soymilk as a vitamin wash, several stone wheat crackers slathered with butter, and half a salted cucumber. I keep going back to the refrigerator with the thought that someone will have left me an actual meal (a little platter of sushi would be nice), but the same red peppers, broccoli, and tofu keep greeting me; and they know damn well I don't feel like cooking.

I'm now thinking of how to feed the heroine in the book I'm ghostwriting. She's not a vegetarian; if she's anything like me (and, yes, she is), she needs animal protein with her veggies. She's basically good to her body and consumes lots of salads. But perhaps she secretly craves the occasional slab of pork ribs ('though I myself steer clear of the pig items). A Sabrett's all-beef hot dog with mustard and sauerkraut on the days she longs to be back in her hometown of NYC. The comfort of chicken soup when life is being cruel. The rare sensual treat of Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream. And she keeps a Trader Joe's thin crust cheese pizza in her freezer for emergencies...

...hey, wait! So do I! Please excuse me; dinner is served.

No comments: