Sunday, August 17, 2003

"I want to guard your dreams and visions." -Bruce Springsteen

The Blues. It's a style of music I enjoy. It's a mood I don't. I've been experiencing a serious case of the latter the past couple of weeks, triggered by multiple professional and personal stresses and The Ongoing Oppressive Heat. I was not built for temperatures over 80 degrees...especially not in combination with 80 percent humidity. Which is one reason I chose LA over hometown New York. Yeah, it's good for the skin, but it sucks the life force from me, and how attractive is a luminous complexion on a sweaty lox?

My blues antidote today? St. Agatha's Church, a progressive Catholic parish in a sketchy part of LA with a slammin' gospel choir. Heard about them a month ago from an acquaintance who'd seen them at the House of Blues' Sunday Gospel Brunch -- then again from dear friend Jolene (another fine omni-woman: reality producer, writer, wedding planner, gardener...), who planned the wedding for one of the singers in said choir. Turns out new friend Michael (screenwriter, novelist and all-around wordsmith par excellence ) attends St. A's Sunday mass, as well. I've come to believe God likes to keep the world small.

My first visit was July 27, and I was immediately hooked -- on the soulful music, on the welcoming energy generated by the multicultural congregation, and by the energized smile and well-placed humor of Fr. Ken, who later told me I could bring my spirit there anytime; guess he could see I was moved right to the place God wants us to be. So, I've added a little progressive Catholicism to my Hindu-based meditation practice and Zen Buddhist studies.

Truth is truth. God hasn't ever said we can't have it all.

And, as further illustration of that fact, friend Linda P (killer attorney and advocate for the elderly) called earlier with an extra ticket to tonight's Springsteen concert in Chavez Ravine! Much as I've always loved The Boss' music, this will be the first time I've seen him in the flesh...which I've also always admired.

Hallelujah!

No comments: