Saturday, August 16, 2003

"Everybody knows everything." -Jack Kerouac

I have a friend named Brian (not his pseudonym), who is one of the brothers my parents never gave me. (They never gave me a spiritual path to follow, either, for which I'm grateful...so I made my own way as an only child through the maze of religious dogma, and found my own damn personal relationship with God.)

...but i digress...

I (television producer and resourceful entrepreneur) was recently in career update conversation with above-mentioned friend Brian (musician/composer and master electrician), who lives next door to me with his beloved wife Margaret (holistic healer and one of the sisters my parents never gave me). I was telling Brian about the status of my HBO movie project, giving him a blow-by-blow description of who the players are, why it hasn't yet been picked up, what needs to happen to make it happen, where it could go if HBO foolishly decides not to produce it after 16 months of development, how frustrated I am about it all, and exactly when I plan to crawl on my belly to the Century City twin tower which houses HBO, find Mister Big, and beg like a dog.

Mid-tale, an amused Brian interrupted with the observation that I can't just say, "We're waiting for the guy in charge to make a decision." Oh no. Why, when life is so entertaining? There's always a whole scenario available. My friends have come to expect full disclosure from me; they wait for me to careen around every detail and bounce over each bump in the day before arriving at the destination. Look, I was born to, and raised by, storytellers; I didn't have a chance. This body contains a singer, songwriter, actor, dancer, poet, graphic designer, producer. "You're Story Girl," my next-door brother laughed, insisting that I make something of it in print. Okay, Brian. I'm taking the bait like a trout.

I have followed many a blog in the past couple of years; even started one last year that dealt with the end of my last love relationship (appropriately, it went the way of the man who "inspired" it). And I've recently met a screenwriter who has a most entertaining and often edifying pop culturish blog.

So I'm thinking perhaps it's time for me to dip toes in the blogging pool again. Make some observations. Share some experiences. Try not to be too metaphorically masturbatory. But there's another "Story Girl" in the BlogSpot system; no surprise. However, there are no ZanTales being told. Until now.

I am Zan. And these are my Tales. Read at your leisure, at your own risk, at bedtime, at the first sign of a cold.

No comments: