Wednesday, December 22, 2004

"Always protect yourself." -Frankie Dunn

Last night, Howard Hughes, Jr. and I braved the swarming Christmas crowds at the Grove to see "Million Dollar Baby," the Clint Eastwood-Hilary Swank-Morgan Freeman film. It's set in the world of boxing, and allows an intimate look at the issues of relationship and healing from pain by opening your heart and pursuing your passion. Recent professional acquaintance Lucia Rijker also stars in the film, in a powerfully pivotal role; I'll spare you the details, lest I completely spoil it for you. Beautifully photographed, every shot is a work of art. A moving story, even if the script occasionally tries too hard, and a performance from Eastwood that reminded me of a totem pole with moving lips. Swank and Freeman are the heart and soul of the film.

It was the one moment she forgets trainer Frankie's above-referenced admonition that resonated so deeply in me. Because it's the one thing I have so often forgotten to do...and I have the scars (more on my heart than on my body) to prove it.

I got home well after midnight, to a mailbox stuffed with a bag holding a Christmas gift from my ex-husband and the pooch whose custody we share: a striking necklace of red coral and turquoise, from which dangles a silver pendant depicting the Hindu Goddess Durga, riding a tiger. The identifying tag read, "Protective Goddess." Of all things.

Then, in a conversation with HH, Jr. this morning, I heard it again as we discussed the anonymous communications I've been receiving via this very blog.

Heed the Universe. Always protect yourself.

No comments: