Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Two Poems from the 1999 Collection...

On the Ninth Day

Don't ask me where this leads.
I haven't the proper rudder
for such a tenebrous ocean.
Let me be rapt in this
golden moment,
alive and awake
and deeply aware
that these encounters
are rare.
Sit close to me, that
we'll be undisturbed,
unfettered and
certainly beloved.

You admire my wisdom
('though I now exhibit none?).
You acknowledge my beauty,
each time stealing my breath.
I see your heart glow
in your eyes,
lit all at once with joy
and sadness.

When a soul connection
is clearly made,
is that not a gift?
Then, why should it taunt and torture so?
Oh, pull up the anchor -
we'll sail this deep sea
'til the shore finds us.

7.10.99


Chimera

We chase the wind and
parry with the waves
on a northern beach.
Skip a stone, steal a shell.
Laugh back at
squawking gulls
who float smugly above
our afternoon spun of
sand and seafoam.

Tell me this is no dream,
if you can.
And if you can't, then
run with me along the
hard sand shoreline
'til we find cool shelter
from the beating sun.

Of course, you can run.
Close your eyes.
You'll see.

9.24.99

No comments: