Sunday, September 07, 2003

"Talking much about oneself can also be a means to conceal oneself." -Nietzsche

My cable provider (the one whose principals face prison sentences) has at last brought Internet access to those of us in the Los Angeles hinterlands of Mount Washington; and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Because of their promotional largesse, I'm now paying $7 less per month for my cable TV, with the addition of cable modem access. The caveat: the price will shoot up at the end of January, but I'm a modern Zen kind of consumer: Be Hooked Up for Cheap Now/Pay or Cancel Later.

It's delightful -- I can be online AND talk on the telephone AT THE SAME TIME, right here in my OWN HOME! Will 21st Century wonders never cease? No, they will not. The evolution of convenience in communication will continue until we are each implanted directly into others' brains, finally in constant chat mode, whether or not we have anything of the slightest import to say.

Wouldn't Freddy N. have a choice thought or two to share about the blogging phenomenon, this opportunity so many of us take to "talk much about oneself" and make our experiences and opinions accessible on a global scale, at the mere click of a mouse button? Would he beseech us to "conceal" ourselves a little less? Is this, in most cases (and I'm not excluding myself, here), just a lotta blahblahblahgging?

He'd probably compose something pithy about how we deserve the current plague of viruses. Thus Spake, um, Blaster.

No comments: