Friday, January 16, 2004

"The great thing about a computer notebook is that no matter how much you stuff into it, it doesn't get bigger or heavier." -Bill Gates

I suppose I have Bill G to thank for the fact that I am typing on the keyboard of my very own laptop at this very moment. (Actually, I mostly have Linda the Dragon to thank, but that's true for many crucial and enjoyable things in my life.) It's a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zt3020, with Harman/Kardon speakers, several bells, whistles and That New Computer Smell. And a 15.4" screen, the better to view DVDs with, I guess. I fell for the extended warranty, and Comp USA threw in a pretty cool carrying case, which I will heretofore refer to as the "gig bag" (you guitarists out there will appreciate the reference).

This is the laptop on which I will ghostwrite my first book, a process that begins as soon as I load her up with MS Word -- thanks to new friend and associate Alec S, I will be cheating Microsoft Boy out of $150, which the salesman at Comp USA quietly recommended. "Gates has plenty of money without yours," said Don the Computer Guy. Perhaps when my own book does well, I'll send Bill a check. Oh yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.

I am not given to affection for inanimate objects, but I have the feeling this is the beginning of a long and fruitful love affair...and, if it's the only one I have for awhile, well...I could do worse.

No comments: